Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Musical Merlin Thought

Hello my fellow Merlin fans!

I apologise for it being a while since the last post - who knew my summer break would be so busy?
I've made myself a Knight of Camelot costume in the length of time I've been absent, so I'm currently working on a write up on that to post here but it's taking longer than I thought to write and so I thought I'd put this post up.

I think that one of the things that makes the show so successful is it's wonderful soundtrack. I don't know if any of you have the soundtracks that they released for the first two series of the show, but I think they're incredible. Two of my favourite tracks are 'Fighting In The Market' (used in S1.Ep1, S3.Ep8 and S4.Ep8) and 'Lancelot's Heroism' (used in S2.Ep4) but the rest of the music used in the series that hasn't been officially released is outstanding as well.

Sometimes when I have trouble sleeping, I put the soundtracks of the show on using my MP3 player and listen to them until I fall asleep, but a while ago I tried something different.
I put an episode of Merlin on to help me get to sleep, but instead of watching it, I put my headphones into my computer and turned off the computer monitor and listening to the episode as if it was just one long piece of soundtrack. The first episode I tried this with was S2.Ep4, Lancelot and Guinevere and it struck me just to how much of what isn't said in words or actions is spoken through music.
Possibly my favourite example from this episode was when Lancelot and Guinevere first see each other in the Wilddeoren arena. You hear the loud cheering of the spectators and as soon as they lock eyes the cheering becomes almost a background noise, like nothing was important other than the fact they could see each other again for those few seconds until Hengist speaks and brings them back to reality along with the loud cheering. It really shows, for me, how powerful the feeling that Lancelot and Guinevere have for each other are at this point in the series.

There are several more examples I could write about, but I fear this post would get far too long. I would really recommend trying this out sometime. It sounds a little weird to begin with, but choose your favourite episode (that way it might be easier to follow without the visual aspect of the episode) and see what you think. I think it helps you to connect with the characters on a much different level and for me, this helped me to write some of my fanfic that I'm currently working on.

I hope you enjoy this if you try it - why not leave a comment if you have tried it?

Just before I sign off for now, if there is anything that you would like me to write about - like a certain episode or character, then feel free to leave a comment on here, or to send me a tweet! My twitter is @GalifreyGirl

Jessie of Camelot 

No comments:

Post a Comment